Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Using the GAME Plan Process with Students

I am still learning the process of using a GAME Plan. I have seen how much it has helped me to grow as a teacher and am more than willing to use the process with my students. I feel that I have increased my level of knowledge and effectiveness at implementing technology because of my GAME Plan.
As I viewed and reflected on all of the standards included in NETS-S, I feel that they are all important. They are closely related to NET-T. I chose to focus specifically on a few that would be appropriate for kindergarten students. For instance research, other than guided by me, has been a struggle for them. I can absolutely see me developing a GAME Plan for each! My students are not able to develop one for themselves, but I would involve them in the process. Together we would develop a goal, which is important, it is the same as them being aware of any learning objective. Students should always know what they are learning, how they will learn it, and why they are learning it! I would develop the action section of the process, the actual instructional delivery. Next I think we would work together using data collected and students personal thoughts to modify what we are doing! Last we would collaborate to evaluate the process. Did we meet our objective?
When you really think about it, GAME Plans are just like good teaching! We have a purpose, those learning it and those teaching it are aware of it. There is action and I believe it should be taken by both students and teachers! We all know the effects of teacher directed learning. In order to modify we must consider what changes should occur. We also know that assessment/evaluation drives instruction and therefore must occur after any concept is taught in order to see the next step!

I not only plan to use the GAME Plan process with my students, I cannot wait to get started! Any ideas or suggestions from my colleagues woulde be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    I enjoyed reading your blog, you have obviously though about differentiating the use of a GAME plan. Perhaps you could start by implementing a GAME plan into something that your students are familiar with as a problem, such as learning the school day schedule. I think I woud leave technology out to begin teaching the GAME plan process and then introduce it step by step as they become more comfortable with the process. I am going to put a poster on my wall so students are reminded of the steps, perhaps a kindergarten friendly poster could be developed using pictures and a few words.

    Have fun getting started!

    Minty

    ReplyDelete