Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sarah Horner 5/13 Post: Blogging in the Classroom

I have really grown to enjoy blogging. As I spend time in my current course, I am beginning to see how beneficial they can be. I would say that if I taught a higher-level, I would use blogs in my classroom for student's writing. At a higher level, I think it would be neat for them to use a blog as a journal. Not only would using the web, as opposed to paper and pen, be motivating, they can also collaborate and share more easily among themselves. I would assume also, that students could read other students entries and that could be a great way for higher ability writers, to model for others who are struggling. As a teacher, it would be a great place to archive work samples!
Unfortunately, at the Kindergarten level, I do not think my students could perform that task, at least not until possibly the 2nd half of the year, on a much smaller scale. However, I tried to think of a way that I could differentiate the idea of sharing or journaling through a blog. An idea that I did have was that my kindergarteners could dictate a story, even a sentence, or a journal entry, and I could type for him/her. Realistically, I may only be able to do 1 or 2 student's a week, but it would still be beneficial, just at a different level. The purpose would be that I could keep track of different skills, for example; language use, sentence structure, creativity, voice, etc, and the individual growth of my students. They could even possibly continue a certain blog across grade levels, and track their own writing progress eventually. I also thought that if I did this at the Kindergarten level, they could share what they/I typed, in a show-n-tell type setting. This would provide an opportunity for them to share and collaborate among peers. Using a blog across grade levels, could provide tracking capabilities for both teachers and students. Using any form of technology really enhances any lesson but giving that added motivation for students is what really makes a difference. Students are motivated by anything new. If we differentiate what we teach to meet students needs, why not differentiate how we teach content?
I truly think that blogging could be a great tool, at any level, including Kindergarten. Not only does it provide an opportunity for me as a teacher to collaborate with other teachers, but they can be beneficial for students as well. I am teaching at an early childhood level, and I am teaching all content ares. I truly think that it could be valuable to let them experience blogging and its benefits early. Even though it would take a large amount of assistance, it will give them that base-knowledge to use in the future, when blogging becomes something they can do individually.

5 comments:

  1. As a first grade teacher myself, I see how we may have some challenges when it comes to blogging. Children at that age usually can't type(or at least it takes a long time). I was thinking that in order to be able to have more than two children a week blog, lower grade teachers such as ourselves could utilize parent helpers (if available) to assist the children. If parents aren't available, they could have an upper grade "study buddy" to help them. That way we are free to continue teaching and more children per week can blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, that is a great idea. I also have an assistant. I can use her for things at my own discretion. I was thinking blogging would be the perfect thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're lucky to have an assistant! I think blogging would be a great experience too. It's funny though...I've spoken to a few parents about it and they weren't as excited about it as I am. Perhaps they feel they'll have to monitor more? I am not sure. They weren't really sure either. Maybe it's just because it's a new concept for younger grades. In any case, I think it's great and you have great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you have a great idea of how you would like to and how you could use the concept of blogging in your kindergarten classroom. It would also be a great place to communicate with parents. The parents could bounce ideas off of one another and you while getting positive feedback from others.
    Great job!!
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trisha,

    I agree that blogging would be a great place to communicate with parents and at such an early age, as long as there is consistent use the students would end up having a show case of their work throughout school. It could also be a place to show thier progress over the years in one place. This would be great for profiles and RTI (Response to Intervention) if it is put in place.

    I wonder whether the blog could be a place for parent volunteers to communicate or for Parent Teacher Associations.

    Minty

    ReplyDelete